Office ergonomics is the scientific study of people and their work environment. In this age of modern technology, nearly 95 percent of an office worker’s time is spent sitting in front of a computer. And for most of us, even when we leave the office, we continue to use our home computers and handheld devices throughout the evening. A myriad of things can go wrong in our body when we sit for too long:
- Organ damage
- Muscle degeneration
- Foggy brain
- Strained neck
- Sore shoulders and back
- Leg disorders
- Bad back
The most common computer injuries include:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Tennis elbow
- Neck and back injuries
- Strains and sprains
Postural alignment – while we’re sitting or standing at our workstations, reading the newspaper, picking up a heavy object, or e-mailing on a mobile device – is the basis of proper movement. Employees with the proper office setup are healthier, happier, and pain-free.
That is why the doctors at Arlington Pain and Rehab place such an emphasis on the correlation between a patient’s lifestyle and occupation, and offer a holistic approach to working in an office environment.
Our office ergonomics presentation provides guidance on the most effective and efficient workstations, as well as tips, tricks, and exercises for not only alleviating pain, but also preventing it. Our on-site, office ergonomics assessments include:
- Thorough exam of individual workstation setups
- Environmental scan
- Psycho-social issues or stressors
- In-depth assessment of individual postural alignment
- Opportunities for adjustments and improvements
- Comprehensive report
Recommended improvements often include, but are not limited to:
- Adjustments to the workstation: monitor, keyboard, desk height, and chair
- Adjustments to an employee’s posture and/or positioning: head, neck, shoulders, back, legs, feet, arms and wrists
- Stretching exercises to alleviate aches and pains
- Mobility exercises to prevent injury
- Tips for a healthy diet
- Tips for a healthy psychology
Healthier and happier employees leads to higher morale, more efficient workers, and increased productivity.
To schedule a presentation or assessment for your office, or for pricing information, please click on REQUEST A SPEAKER below.